Advocacy in Action | SOCMA Voices Concern Over Changes to MPU Exclusion, Hazardous Waste Incineration Backlog Hindering Production
SOCMA advocated on our member companies’ behalf with EPA’s Office of Land and Emergency Management (OLEM) about the impact that changes to the Manufacturing Process Unit (MPU) Exclusion under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) have on specialty chemical facilities. The meeting also focused on the Definition of Solid Waste and the impeding backlog of hazardous secondary waste incineration.
EPA provided resources on hazardous material including:
- Checklist | Hazardous Secondary Material (HSM) Recycling Checklist
- Definition | Hazardous Secondary Materials Requirements and the Definition of Solid Waste
- How It Impacts Your Facility | Implementation of the Definition of Solid Waste Exclusion
- Sample Template | Example Template for Legitimate Recycling Documentation
SOCMA manufacturing members also participated in the advocacy efforts, sharing with OLEM the impacts of the changes in enforcement of the MPU Exclusion, as well as the severe impediment the backlog of hazardous waste incineration has on operations. The backlog has caused substantial disruptions to facility operations.
- Read OLEM’s memo addressing the issue: Regulatory Options for Addressing the Temporary Backlog of Containerized Hazardous Waste Needing Incineration
SOCMA will continue to advocate on behalf of our members and broader industry to achieve effective policy solutions, alleviate compliance burdens and other impediments to growth, while protecting specialty chemical manufacturers’ ability to compete in the global marketplace.
Contribute to educating regulators on the unique needs of the specialty and batch chemical sector by sharing your company’s experience. Contact SOCMA’s Government Relations team to get involved, and for up-to-date information on regulatory and legislative activities directly impacting your business.